Sunday, June 3, 2012

Getting Rid of Fungal Toenail Infection


Getting Rid of Toenail Fungal Infection

Thick discolored toenails can be a real embarrassment!  Believe me, I know from firsthand experience.  I suffered from thick, crumbling and yellow toenails for many years. I found out that I was suffering from toenail fungal infection.  I just assumed that I could purchase an over-the-counter remedy for toenail fungus and after a few weeks the problem would be gone.  Boy, was I wrong.  I had NO idea how difficult it would be to resolve this problem.

The symptoms of fungal toenail infection include one or more of the following:  Thick, discolored, or crumbling toenails, also possible itching under the nail.  Often these symptoms are accompanied by an unpleasant odor.

The organism that causes this type of infection is a fungus known as a dermatophyte.   Dermatophytes thrive in moist, warm and/or dark places.  They can easily be spread from person to person by skin to skin contact, by sharing socks and/or shoes, or by walking barefoot in places such as pool areas and locker room showers.


Once these organisms get on your feet, it can take up residence under the toenail (in the nail bed) and begins to multiply.  Dermatophytes use the keratin in the nail for food.  The above symptoms are actually the infected person’s immune response to the waste products the dermatophyte is producing.
One of the reasons this type of infection is so difficult to treat successfully is because most people’s feet spend a great deal of time inside socks and shoes. The inside of shoes is the perfect environment for these organisms to thrive – it’s warm and dark and often moist from perspiration.

When I finally found out why I had those ugly, thick toenails, I naturally set about trying to cure the infection.  I tried every over-the-counter remedy I could find with absolutely no success.  I asked my doctor about prescription remedies, but he discouraged these oral medications because of the high incidence of harmful side effects.  It took over 15 years to find a remedy for fungal toenail infection that really worked.

Once you decide to tackle your toenail infection, you should be able to see some improvement in 2 – 3 weeks if your chosen remedy is working.  How quickly you will see results depend on the severity of the infection.  Patience and commitment is a must when working to clear up a toenail infection.  It can take up to 12 months for a new nail to grow in completely.

An important thing to be aware of when you are treating a fungal toenail infection is that it is VERY easy to re-infect the nail with the fungus.  The most important thing you can do to prevent re-infection is to keep your feet as clean and dry as possible at all times.  Sunlight also helps to kill the fungus since it thrives in darkness.

With diligence, good hygiene, and a good natural remedy you can finally rid yourself of that toenail fungal infection!

No comments:

Post a Comment